When I was in the corporate world, some time ago now, when it came to induction no one wanted to know. It was time consuming and something we thrust online managers with a memo . . . “A new recruit will be visiting your department at . . . please make her welcome and explain what you do.”
Now with the help of technology we have the opportunity to do induction or on-boarding a lot better. Using mobile, on-line it is possible to help the new inductees gain a faster understanding of the following key aspects:
- The organisation
- Its offerings
- Its goals
- Where they fit in and what is expected of them
- How they align to the organisational goals and effectively contribute to its success.
From the organisation perspective, well-designed employee Onboarding Programmes ensure that new employees face a shorter learning curve to gain the required perspective, knowledge and skills that will help them contribute in a lesser time. It also ensures better productivity and helps the new employees settle down faster.
So how can we do it better?
Opting for an on-line employee Onboarding programme that uses the benefit of mobile learning is a great way to correct many of the shortcomings of traditional programmes.
Mobile learning is a great way to train new employees in a shorter time, with a consistent message that can create the desired impact.
Modlettes (www.modlettes.com). From an organisational perspective, on-line employee onboarding helps your organisation in the following ways:
- It can easily be adapted to address the needs of today’s multi-generational workforce
- It can be easily personalised based on the role/business unit
- It can be easily localised
- The programme can be easily rolled out to a geographically dispersed workforce.
- It helps your organisation provide a consistent message
- As products or services change it can be easily updated
- It can be scheduled in advance and can be tracked if the implementation is happening, as planned.
- It is a cheaper option when compared to the facilitated model
- It can easily track and assess learner performance, and this data can be used to provide further support.
From a Learners’ Perspective
- Provides them the flexibility to learn on the go and on the device of their choice. They can move across devices
- Empowers them by providing control to them to pace their learning
- Limits the information overload as they can assimilate shorter bites of learning
- Provides them with easy access to learning aids when needed
- Creates a more engaging and immersive learning journey
Of those coming into the workforce today nearly all of them have mobile devices and spend two hours a day looking at them so what better conduit for learning would you have?
Get the eBook “Onboarding new staff with Modlettes” in the resources section of the website www.modlettes.com